Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Bird Watching

I have never been an avid bird watcher, but before I came to Oz, I had read that there were really cool, tropical birds, and this was an understatement. We have Rainbow Lorikeets that love the tree right outside our bedroom window. They are gorgeous and they love the nectar from the flowers in our trees. I have tried to take a few photos, but the green on them blends in with the tree so they are camouflaged. Here is a photo from a google search though. The downside to having the birds outside our window is that they are LOUD. They make this weird electronic-sounding chirp. It wakes us up every morning.
Another beautiful bird, my second favorite, is the Sulfur Crested Cockatoo. We spot them around Manly feeding on the grass or maybe bugs in the grass. 
And of course I can't leave off the Kookaburra! Sorry this photo is not the best. I love singing the Kookaburra song to Avery.
Here's an Ibis that are around a lot too. Long beaks dig in to eat bugs. Some people think they're ugly, but I disagree.
And the last one I will mention is the Little Manly Penguin. I have not seen them because they come out at night over on the harbour side (I live on the beach side). When my sister visits, I'm hoping to try to get a glimpse, but they are very protected by volunteers round the clock because they are becoming endangered. Poor little guys. I guess there were a few incidents with dogs off leash. There are so many signs around but I still see loads of dogs off leash in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment