Friday, March 2, 2012

Update On Liebster Award

This post is a bit overdue, but I have so many excuses. My sister was visiting, the internet is crap here, and now I am sick for the millionth time this year - wondering if me getting sick has anything to do with being in Oz? Hmm. So I apparently won this Liebster Award. Everyone who gets nominated is a winner. I have to say I love the premise behind the award because it's very grassroots. It's a way to recognize all the smaller, less-known but still important blogs out there. And in turn, a "winner" must nominate more blogs they like. Now I need to do some research because truth be told I was following a lot of blogs before moving to Oz and having limited internet data usage. Now I really only follow a few that friends have because I have to save my precious data for skyping with family so they can see our daughter grow. So I am tabling the nominations, however, on a side note and in a stream of consciousness flow, I want to tell expats out there that I highly recommend you set up a Google Voice account before you leave your country. It will allow you to call or text people from your home country on their cell phones for free. They can also leave you a voicemail or text that you will get via email. We use this often and it saves on data if you have the issue we have of limited data.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the GoogleVoice tip--I often spend my Saturdays at the beach, relaxing and messaging with friends and family back home (unfortunately, today's grey skies have us at home cleaning, so no beach for me...). I'll check out GoogleVoice as an option!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for my late reply, but I hope you find it as helpful as I have. I use it all the time. People can program that number into their phone and know when you're calling. And later if you go back to the states (or other country) you can people call your G Voice number and it can ring your new mobile or work number through that number. I have been using it for years but I'm finding it most useful out here.

      Delete